Wednesday 20 August 2014

by Karyn Robinson



David In The Moonlight

Description:

David is a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture created between 1501 and 1504, by the Italian artist Michelangelo. It is a 17.0 ft marble statue of a standing male nude.

The statue represents the Biblical hero David, a favored subject in the art of Florence. Originally commissioned as one of a series of statues of prophets to be positioned along the roof line of the east end of Florence Cathedral, the statue was placed instead in a public square, outside the Palazzo della Signoria, the seat of civic government in Florence, where it was unveiled on 8 September 1504.

Because of the nature of the hero that it represented, it soon came to symbolize the defense of civil liberties embodied in the Florentine Republic, an independent city-state threatened on all sides by more powerful rival states and by the hegemony of the Medici family. The eyes of David, with a warning glare, were turned towards Rome. The statue was moved to the Accademia Gallery in Florence in 1873, and later replaced at the original location by a replica.

(From Wikipedia)



Three Cherries

Description:

There are many associations for cherries...three on a slot machine usually yields a jackpot, somehow they've come to be the pie of choice on President's Day, probably because of George Washington's childhood denial that he chopped down the cherry tree.

I associate cherries with Michigan and Washington state which I believe are the cherry capitols in the United States. Then there's always the catchy song about "Life being a bowl of Cherries".

Whatever you associate with the fruit and however you enjoy eating them, if cherries hold a place in your heart, this is the painting for you. A black background creates a dramatic setting for three, glossy red cherries. Great art for a kitchen, dining room, restaurant or cafe.

Bon appetite!


Pandemonium

Description:

Definition of pandemonium (n)

pan-de-mo-ni-um [ p-ndə mṓnee əm ]
chaos: wild uproar and chaos
noisy confused place: a place or situation that is noisy and chaotic
Synonyms: chaos , mayhem , pandemonium , confusion , anarchy , disorder, disarray

Sometimes the title comes first.

Such was the case with this series of three paintings which together form the triptych seen here.

I've been admiring graffiti art recently. I love the boldness of the color and the freedom of form. The artwork can be incredible and many artists create their works to convey a message. Often the message is about a perceived social injustice, sometimes it's a point of pride.

I love that all art isn't reserved for dining rooms or hanging over the sofa. The artists who create murals on buildings (with permission) and walls are sharing their gifts with the entire community. It's art you can enjoy walking down the street or while you drink your latte. It makes the world a more colorful and interesting place.


Back To The Grind

Description:

The only thing worse than having to leave the Arizona high country after a wonderfully cool weekend is facing the traffic coming back into Phoenix. If you live here you know what I mean. Inching your way down the big hill. Becoming increasingly aware of the rising temperature. Watching the temperature gauge on the dashboard and praying your rig won't over heat.

You are living The Zonie Life.

This is my latest painting inspired by my life in Arizona. I do love it here but moving from the Midwest to the land of the 'Dry Heat' is a bit of a culture shock.

If we had visited my parents in June, July, August, or September I doubt we would be living here, but no, we came from Michigan in the dead of winter and my husband and I were jubilant at the prospect of wearing shorts and t-shirts in December.

Having lived here for 25 years now I shudder at the thought of dressing so lightly in December. I guess I'm an official Zonie now!

The original work is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Fine Art America secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original by clicking on the picture link below.





About Karyn:

“When you've been through a difficult situation, it changes you”, said artist, Karyn Robinson. Robinson is a breast cancer survivor and although she says she rarely thinks about it these days, she can’t deny it changed her as an artist.

“I see the world differently and I try to bring a sense of playfulness and optimism to my artwork. I see beauty in just about everything and I want to paint it all!”

A writer and television producer by profession, Robinson didn't discover painting until her cancer diagnosis. She found painting to be good therapy and the hours she spent with paint brush in hand rekindled her childhood passion for art.

Robinson grew up in the Midwest and has lived in Arizona for nearly 25 years. “When we moved to the desert southwest I was immediately awe-struck by the beauty I saw all around me. Where some saw only rocks and dirt, I saw a sense of majesty. I love the sculptural shapes of the cacti and the way light and shadow plays on their form.”

In addition to her contemporary take on southwestern art, Robinson enjoys painting abstracts, unusual objects (check out her robot painting, “A Boy and His Dog”) and capturing people at play.

“Sometimes I feel that there is not enough time in the day to paint everything I want to paint! I’m so captivated by this wonderful, beautiful world. If I can just continue to paint and share my work with others I will be living the life I want to live.'

“It’s taken me nearly 50 years to figure out what I want to be when I grow up”, said Robinson, “and I would never have discovered how happy painting makes me if it hadn't been for my experience with breast cancer. Talk about your silver linings.”

Karyn Robinson


Gilbert, AZ - United States

No comments:

Post a Comment